Slowly emerging


So this is where I've been hanging out, with the plants and especially the calabrese whose germination rate has been amazing and whose leaves I am shamelessly in love with.  Plants just keep growing, irrespective of pandemic problems or society's pain. As long as they get some daylight and water + have their roots planted in something suitable, they are happy.


Chard, Fordhook Giant to be precise. This will most certainly be grown again, whatever life throws at it this plant storms through. Stands there and takes it. One plant was eaten (don't plant them near shrubs....) but Still new leaves were being sent up every day! Amazing. Requires next to no attention while growing and tastes fab.


It's been a while since I have planted peas, but these main crop are doing fine. No peas as yet, but the half that we crop for pea shoots are super crunchy. Most of the rest are planted up in the top corner of our garden, an area currently defended by an irate blue tit whose babies are not yet fledged from their nest box. I have peeked at the peas, they are doing well. Dare not tarry up that end though.....


The wind is interesting but still the beetroot battle on. Next year it will be either growing under fleece....or.....wind protection round the edge of this bed. But for This year, I really need to see for myself what level of damage we are dealing with.
Dreaming of a polytunnel!

So inside our home and garden, all is perfectly well.




 But outside?
Outside is a whole other world.



We ' ve started to go out, popped into Rosehearty and walked out from the car park to see wild orchids and cotton grass. Been down to the  beach near home.  Even had a chippy tea out in the car.
So we both popped out in the car yesterday to source pots and compost......I chickened-out of going into the garden centre, hubby managed perfectly but istm that at some point in the near future I maybe could do with reintergrating into the big wide world out there.





Stopped off for a quick stroll on the beach at Fraserburgh which was lovely, but I had forgotten a jacket and thermal leggings. Met friends of hubby, so that was good to put faces to names then watched children play in the water and the birds swirl overhead. Had a quick walk down to the water and resisted the urge to roll my trousers up and paddle. Realised that I could be forever happy just gazing at the sea..........but it was cold.
Retreated to car, failed to get in so circled the vehicle brandishing keys in the general direction. Keys? Some random remote numpty plastic metal Thing. Became aware of stifled laughter from next car so turned to see two smiling faces, the only thing that stopped me from crying in utter frustration! We exchanged comments and by a minor miracle the lock mechanism kicked in. I opened the door, turned to say bye then walked straight into the edge of the door. Completed the chaos by scrambling in a most ungainly manner over the driver's seat to reach my seat, then spent the rest of the day contemplating how very many things I simply do not understand or fail to remember!





But I Do understand other things ........ so that's ok.

















Comments

  1. Poops. That should be Reading ABOUT your chard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I wanted to say was how good it must be to live by the sea. And that you have inspired me to try a few salad veggies next year. In containers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I've come home, to a place I never knew was home. If that makes any sense at all? In the past i have occasionally grown things, but not so intentionally. Home Grown Veg on YouTube is a massive recommendation if you are growing in containers (go back prior to pandemic era tho) gave me encouragement to just have a go!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autumnal beginings,

I was going to be hibernating during january

October 2020