I was going to be hibernating during january


First day of 2021 and I am baking while in other parts of the house pictures are going up.
Outside,  the wind is making its presence felt a little and rain is smattering against the north side windows. Sometimes it seems as though the various sides of our home have their own climates!

I will add to this in dribs and drabs during the month, but for now we are all still mid covid and now post b__x_t. I won't dignify that word with a capital letter, nor will I spend anymore time on it.



No sooner do I finish that last paragraph than a week passes and 'innocence is lost' as the tv presenters are fond of saying. Dont know about that, but Certainly I never thought to see senators cowering under seats and rioters smashing windows, heads or hearts on Capitol Hill. 
Across the US relatives and friends are counting the cost of their loved one's hitherto apparently harmless allegiances . And the thing is, when hatred is allowed to course through our veins it Never ends well. 
There are the Other group of family and friends too, those who genuinely wondered if they would see their loved ones again.
 And from both groups, some are bereaved.
No one. Absolutely no one wins.
Everybody looses.  And. Everybody has to be a part of recreating society.

 
(Both from Moston Brook. Manchester . 2016.)



Decided that a settling book was called for so chose a recently resettled tome by BB, aka DJ Watkins Pritchford, the person who did these beautiful etchings in the book. Certainly the very first time I read anything by BB I had no idea who he was. A keen observer of nature is who he was!

"Brandon Chase" is already in our bookshelves, my aunt's copy that was given to her in 1946.  We now have "The Sportsman's Bedside Book" as well.
Both books have an undertone of postwar countryside hunting and shooting but that can be avoided. Threading through both volumes are the observations and descriptions of fish and animal , bird and wind, water and silence, skies and plants. 
In short, everything I love.

At the end of a day it is good to read, to let my mind wander.
 


Comments

  1. These are the most uncertain days I have ever experienced. Finding solace in nature - from parks and gardens to those intrepid enough to scale high peaks and mountains - seems to be helping many of us. Happy New Year.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you.

    Here, i am missing the full-on growing season oh and the brighter longer days too.

    Am I alone in missing those casual chats, inconsequential almost....

    Very best wishes for 2021
    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most uncertain days i thought too, then 6th Jan......

    ReplyDelete
  4. The etchings are beautiful. These days are different and we need some plenty comfort and strength.
    In the book group I belong to, we are reading a book called Mr Lynch's Holiday by Catherine O'Flynn. Darkly funny at times but full of witty obsevations and ultimatley uplifting. Mabye nest I blog, it will about reading...you can't beat it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm...I meant to post on hibernating during January. Oh hum! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autumnal beginings,

A declaration of intent on our front windowsill...........